Thursday, August 18, 2011

Breakfast Breads

I just made 2 HBin5 breads that would be great for breakfast--Bran Muffin Bread and Oatmeal Date Bread. My hubby and I felt that, although these would be great for breakfast, we wouldn't make a savory sandwich from them.

Here's the dough for the Bran Muffin Bread.  I didn't have enough maple syrup, so I used more molasses.  The dough was pretty thick, and it was probably because the molasses is thicker than maple syrup.

Bran Muffin Bread
We ate this bread up before I took a final picture!  However, I thought it was good enough to sell at the Farmer's Market.  Some loaves were sold, when it was sampled.  However, it's a pretty pricey recipe.  We think we will keep this bread for ourselves!

Next, I made the oatmeal date bread.  Here's a picture of it in the loaf pan.  After seeing a comment by our friend, Guff, at http://oldpopsblog.blogspot.com/ , I decided not to add the optional walnuts.  He said it made it a bit dry.

Oatmeal Date Bread
Here's the finished loaf, which was sprinkled with raw sugar.  We had this for dinner, and it was like eating cake!  The next day, however, the bread firmed up considerably.  We enjoyed it, but didn't "go crazy" for it as we did the night before.

Our group baking member, Nancy, was kind enough to give me her light wheat bread recipe.  A test was made, and we almost ate the whole loaf the first day!  I sold some loaves at the farmer's market. 
Nancy's Light Wheat Bread

The demand for sourdough bread has skyrocketed lately at the Farmer's Market.  I heard the Amish stopped bringing it to the Market.  I've been using sourdough starter in the AB5 Master dough.  Last week, I graduated to 2 larger jars! 


Still, I just about ran out this week!  "Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble! "  Do you have any easy methods to share for sourdough?

Thanks so much for visiting.  I loved making these breads.  I hope to be baking our group recipes again soon.

Judy

2 comments:

  1. "Fire burn and cauldron bubble."
    Your breads look great, as always. Interesting to see these recipes from a cost/sales perspective. That is not a consideration I factor into the equation in evaluating the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the Farmer's Market. You are my hero. Your breads look great. I love baking with sour dough. I make 2 loaves every weekend. My recipe came from Classic Sourdoughs by Ed Wood. Very interesting book.

    ReplyDelete