Sunday, August 17, 2014

"Clear out the Fridge" Roasted Vegetable Focaccica





This month's Avid Baker's Challenge is the Roasted Vegetable Focaccia recipe by King Arthur Flour.  The recipe calls for a dough that uses a starter.

I call this focaccia "Clear out the Fridge"  because it uses up a lot of things I had in the fridge.  I made this recipe on a Monday, the day before we go grocery shopping so we would have room for fresh foods. 

Tuesday is senior discount day at Kroger.  They give seniors 60+ (hubby is over 60, LOL) a 5% discount on groceries.  Needless to say, there isn't a handicapped parking space available, and the store is packed!  I know a lot of people who avoid the store on Tuesdays, but we love the discount.  Since there is tax on food here, it helps to pay the sales tax.  It's actually a party atmosphere, with people running into each other.

Here's my version of the recipe:

Roasted Vegetable Focaccia



Hands-on time:
Baking time:

Yield:two quarter sheets or one large sheet of focaccia, about 8 to 10 servings

Starter


  • 1/2 cup cool water
  • 1/16 teaspoon instant yeast
  • 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

Dough

  • all of the starter (above)
  • 2 teaspoons instant yeast
  • 1/2 cup lukewarm lowfat milk; amount depends on humidity
  • 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Topping

  • 1-2 zucchini
  • 1/2 yellow squash
  • 1/2 sweet onion
  • 1/3 cup sundried tomato, softened in 1/3 cup warm water
  • 2 Japanese eggplant (from farmers market)
  •  olive oil
  • 1-2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 seeded jalapeno
  • grated Parmesan cheese
  • kosher salt
  • garlic


Recent purchase from farmer's market.  The leftover was used as foccaccia toppings.

Japanese eggplant is much milder than regular eggplant.  Also, it is much easier to slice!  You slice it just like you would zucchini.  In fact, I was quoted in the Charlotte WFAE blog on how easy it is to use it.  http://wfae.org/post/trouble-eggplant .

Quarter sheet pans--half the size of my baking sheet!

I got 2 quarter sheet pans over a year ago.  I had planned to use them for making holiday fudge.  Unfortunately, I broke my ankle and didn't do any holiday baking.

I thought focaccia would be a great way to use the pans.  Instead of making one big one, I could make two smaller ones and freeze one!  My hubby is on soft foods due to dental surgery, so I would freeze one for when he could enjoy it.

I made the focaccia over 2 days, because the starter needed 14 hours before adding it to the dough.  It would have been a lot easier if I had done it over 3 days.
Making the starter, late afternoon

Nice rise.  I think this was the starter

The focaccia, shaped and ready to rise.  It's getting late for dinner, though.  I put them in the oven, with the light on, to hasten the rise.


Out of the oven!  Time for dinner!!!

I put vegetable oil on the pans, instead of spray, because I didn't want them to stain!

I enjoyed the first pan, although I baked it a little long.  It was crispy.  Still, it was delicous!


Be sure to check out the full recipe, and directions, on the King Arthur Flour Site:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/roasted-vegetable-focaccia-recipe

and enjoy the other focaccia postings from the Avid Baker's Challenge at http://avidbakerschallenge.blogspot.com/

Thanks for stopping by!

Judy

7 comments:

  1. What a great idea to bake two and freeze one! The vegetables you used would indeed be wonderful with this bread. We loved ours too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hanaa! Hubby just got the ok to eat firmer foods, so we can now enjoy the second one. YUM

      Delete
  2. It's great that this bread can hold any kind of topping- I also like that you divided it. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your topping ingredients! They would definitely make for one delicious focaccia.

    ReplyDelete