Sunday, June 12, 2011

Seeded Oat Bread, Gluten Free Loaves

Seeded Oat Bread

Wow, what a great bread!  I decided to make this loaf after seeing how wonderful it looked at the website of our co-baker, Guff  at http://oldpopsblog.blogspot.com/ . 

Also, this recipe isn't all whole wheat; I thought my husband would be ok with it.  After over a year of whole wheat baking, he commented that he would like some non-whole wheat breads.  It was a relief to learn that he really loved this bread!


Seeded Oat Bread Dough
This dough was really interesting--chock-full of nuts and seeds.  I made sure to use raw sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds.  I have made loaves with roasted seeds before, and they burned.  It seemed like the baking was considered a second "roasting."



Resting on the Peel
Crunchy, munchy loaves!
That's my newly spiral-bound HBin5 book!
The "letterfold" method of folding helped me make really nice loaves.  I wish, however, I had rolled the loaves on a counter with seeds sprinkled on it--as Guff did.  I found myself patting the seeds onto it.





Although it seems risky for me to bake at higher temperatures in my Thermador oven (burns the oven element out), I just craved those crusty loaves.  It was just thrilled to take these loaves out of the oven!!!




Not much left after dinner!


And now, a Gluten-Free recipe!:

I purchased quite a bit of gluten free flours through the course of this project.  Well, I felt it's time to use those flours again.

I decided to make the Gluten-Free Crusty Boule recipe, but as a loaf.

The dry ingredients were mixed in the rising bucket, before added to liquids
This is dough? 
After combining the ingredients, I mixed the ingredients at high speed for a few minutes. That technique was outlined in another gluten-free bread recipe.  It gave the bread structure.  It couldn't hurt, I figured.


Before the "dough" rises
The bowl was scraped down, and the dough mixed a few additional minutes.  It didn't look like an impressive dough when it was set out to rise.

A nice rise in our warm sunroom!
Wow, what a nice rise.  I've heard that the dough "matures" nicely after rising and overnight in the refrigerator.  It's not the same as dough with gluten, but there's a nice combination of flours--tapioca, sorghum, and brown rice.  You don't get that in baking with gluten, normally.  Most people just stick with the standard wheat flour.



Thanks so much for stopping by.  I hope you will leave a comment.  Please return soon, I'll be baking again!

No comments:

Post a Comment