Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Gluten-Free Brioche and Coffeecake

Time for our HBin5 baking group to venture into gluten free baking again.  This time, we are trying gluten free brioche.  The recipe is very similar to our challah and brioche recipes in "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day."


I'm glad for the assignment, because I still have plenty of gluten free flours from previous assignments.  My version is made with a few changes.  Soy milk was used instead of cows' milk; this actually gave it a much sweeter taste.  Guar gum was used instead of xanathan gum; it's a bit less expensive.


My dough seems like a thick pancake batter.  After seeing the gluten free boule video on the authors' website, I realized that my "dough" is much thinner than theirs.  I found out that my measurements weren't correct for their method of measuring the flours.



First, a loaf was made.  I've had problems with the gluten free dough sticking to the plastic wrap before.  Therefore, I put an upside down glass bowl on top of it.  That seemed to work just fine.



A few days later, I decided to make a coffeecake with the thin batter.  Making the assigned cinnamon rolls just seemed too hard with this dough.  It would take a lot of extra flours to thicken it up.

A tube pan was used.  I started with a layer of dough, and smoothed it out.


Then I added the filling from the recipe, and added a top layer of dough.

 The coffeecake seemed to need a streusel topping, so I added that.

 The final baked coffeecake:



I tried turning the coffeecake onto a pizza pan, which is the largest flat pan that I own.  I would love a cake pan, but don't want more "gadgets" taking up room in my cupboards.



It's a good thing I took a picture of the cake in the pan, because it didn't come out perfectly.  But it did look better with the icing:

 My hubby really liked the coffeecake, with the orange flavoring in the icing.  I thought it was a bit too sweet, but that's probably due to the soymilk in the dough.

This is my makeshift cake pan!  My largest storage bowl, upside down on my pizza pan.  Hey, it works.

I think that I will try to use my gluten free flours in my regular baking with wheat flours.  Baking is a learning process, and there's plenty to learn with wheat baking.  I'll have this knowledge if I need to bake for a gluten free friend, though.

Thanks so much for stopping by.  I hope you enjoyed making this recipe, and will leave a comment.  Come by and visit again soon!

Judy

2 comments:

  1. Glad to know I was not the only one with issues on the consistency of the dough. Love your multi-tasking use of equipment. And a great idea to make a coffee cake. I am just as glad to be finished with gluten-free baking, I just do not get the same enjoyment working with the dough that I do with wheat bread. And no, I did not catch the lobsters myself, I think that is illegal, but they were $4.99 a pound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete