Friday, April 16, 2010

Olive Spelt Bread

Our assignment this time, for the Healthy Breads in 5 Minutes a Day" baking group, was to make Olive Spelt Bread on page 96 of the book.






I've become fond of spelt, it has a milder whole grain taste than whole wheat.  This recipe called for green olives, which I just happened to buy on sale.  It included yogurt, to give it a jump start on the "tang" flavor.


My style of baking is vegan.  I decided to use soy yogurt.  I had a difficult time finding plain soy yogurt.  The plain soy yogurt that I did buy had a definite vanilla flavor, but I decided to use it anyways.

We really liked this bread, but I will probably make it with milk-style yogurt next time.  

If you would like to see the other recipes made by other people in this group, just click on this link:

HBinFive is hosted by Michelle
of Big Black
Dog

 

5 comments:

  1. Just wondered how you were doing? Have not heard much from you lately?

    I didn't know you were vegan. Glad you like this bread, we loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried this bread yet but I do have good intentions. In fact, I have some lovely green olives in the fridge just waiting for me to get moving. Yours looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great that you can adapt the recipes to fit your food choices. I hope things are better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would it make more sense to people if I explained that all my baking equipment is parve?

    Thanks for all the wonderful comments from everyone about my trip.

    ReplyDelete